craicstyle
this site the web

Craic'y Spotlight: Latasha Mercer!




Latasha Mercer was that cool confident girl that could fly under the radar but everyone knew and everyone wanted to be friends with. I should know I was friends with her. Since then the girl has been doing amazing things and is about to embark on her biggest career venture yet, hosting online episodes for DopeFiles.com. Shmoozing with big names already like Fabulous and Sean Kingston, Latasha is poised for super stardom. She took some time out to answer some of my questions; to find out all the dirt on the modeling industry, her designer faves, goals dreams and tips for everyone else out there just trying to make it in this crazy buisness read below!

What do you do ? I am the host of online episodes on DopeFiles.com. We spotlight new music artists, new fashion designers, stylists, and cover celebrity events! Along with video episodes, we do trend reports from the runways of NY Fashion Week, Music reviews of the latest Urban albums, and feature articles on who "Dope Files Supports".

What drew you to the fashion industry ?
It was pure aesthetic. It was the glamour... the lights... the fashion! It was so exciting, exclusive, and exquisite! I wanted to be apart of it... ALL of it. From underground to the runways... I've always loved mixing street with glam.

What is the hardest part about working or breaking in to this buisness?
Same old saying "one day you're in... and the next, you're out." It happens just that fast... and your name no longer means anything. It also takes a long time to get that running start until you do actually start to matter. The hustle is no joke. Working for free is the norm... don't dream of a check for a long time. That actually weeds out who is really passionate about their fashion craft. And when you do finally ring bells, you have to stay relevant. It's a never-ending deal.

What are some of the things that you wish you could change about the fashion industry?
I actually used to model. I hate the standard of beauty. For the most part, you have to be tall (5'9+) and size 0-2 sample size. They "say" four.. but no one wants a size 4 model unless somehow you've become a HUGE name, and those are slim to none chances. It's also a plus if you're white. If you're of color, (I speak on behalf of Black women), you must be really dark for the exotic "African" look, or very light. I'm smack in the middle. I think we should embrace difference. I applaud designers like Sean Combs who did an all-Black model cast for Sean John and Marc Jacobs who casted Stacy (previously of Elite), a heavier model with curves and strong, almost weird features, but he showed us that THAT was beauty.

What has been your greatest proffesional moment? Have you had one? Your worst proffesional moment?

My greatest professional moment was getting hired & fired from People's Revolution. It was my first fashion job, I was Kelly Cutrone's assistant along with a few others. It was such an empowering experience: doing so many shows in a week, meeting celebs, learning PR, meeting a lot of industry people, dealing with the wrath of Kelly. Getting fired was a wake up call: life wouldn't be cookie-cutter perfect. I was OUT. I started to panic thinking of ways to get back into the fashion industry picking up odd jobs for the next few seasons of fashion week. Getting fired was great because being that afraid of having no income really lit the fire to get my life together and become creative.

What are some of your biggest influences?

Young entrepreneurs inspire me. I have friends becoming stylists, bloggers, jewely & fashion designers, and it's working & succeeding. Company owners are becoming younger and younger and it's overwhelming and exciting to know that I'm going to be one of them.

What designers do you love and why?
I love the easy ones: Gucci (what they do with color & cut for women's clothing), Chanel (I mean...), Balmain (shoulder-padded, bejeweled mini-dresses?! YES!), Louis Vuitton (must we...), Christian Louboutin (the most innovative shoe designer of our generation), YSL (le smoking and women's suits are epic). I really adore Alexander Wang... I love architectural pieces and he crafts them so easy where it doesn't look ridiculous in the street, off the runway.

What celeb style do you admire the most?
I admire Sessilee Lopez. She's such a badass and amazing staple in the fashion industry.... and her modeling skills are off the charts. I met her when I helped cast her for Tibi & Catherine Malandrino and with a look at me she says, "Your ass looks amazing in that dress." I was in love.

Do you have any professional regrets?
Yes. when I get frustrated and bored with my job, I become lazy and stop working as hard. My drive becomes obviously lost to my coworkers and bosses, and I never want to leave a company with a bad impression. I guess it's just meant to be that I become my own boss, but I never want to burn bridges.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?
I see myself hosting a show on a major cable network with the ownership of DopeFiles.com under my belt. The website is my baby and even if I don't host the webisodes myself, it will still be an urban media powerhouse.

What is your personal style? style motto?My personal style is street and glam. I'd put ankle-breaking heels on (I adore my black YSL Tribute pump) with nerd glasses, chunky jewelry, and an outfit from H&M.

What trends do you see for 2011?Neon color is back. We saw it at Gucci, DVF resort, and C.P. Company.

Advice for others trying to break into the fashion biz

Don't quit. Fashion people are mean, but NEVER TAKE IT PERSONAL. They are incredibly stressed, and let's face it, incredibly into themselves & they're own ego. Treating you like crap makes them feel good... so give them the satisfaction. For every door that closes, another opens. Keep running & gunning

DopeFiles.com launches in February and for more from Latasha Mercer follow her on
twitter @tash_dopefiles

SOME MORE HOT SHOTS OF HOT SHOT LATASHA MERCER

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love her.

Ashley H said...

Kind of all about her!!! Fashion is more than just her middle name.

Post a Comment