craicstyle
this site the web

Insider Spotlight: Maeve Reilly


I met Maeve Reilly in 08' when we both worked for the same Big Brown Retailer. I met her on my first day and was immediately intimidated. This girl had style and a hustle I had never seen. We became fast friends gabbing like school girls, taking smoke breaks and playing dress up. Maeve, was always very driven and when she left I knew she would do great things. I swore she would have to, because if I was going to be bored at that job I at least hoped she was doing something amazing. In the two years since then she has since become an up and coming fashion stylist working out of NYC and L.A with heavy hitters like Rihanna and Jay Z. I sat down with her to talk about where she has been, where she is going, her affection for Gaga and Gary Bucci's big ol balls lol!


1. What do you do?
Fashion Stylist
2. What drew you to the fashion industry?

Always wanted to be apart of it, since I was a little girl, the glamour of it was what got me, come to find out, not so glamorous :-)3. What is the hardest part about working in this buisness?
Hardest part of the business is all the different personalities you have to deal with and handle on any given day. Working with celebs is hard work!! 4. How did you get to where you are now?
 I went to FIT for high school classes until my acceptance into the college where I got my degree in Fashion Merchandising and Management. I also worked in retail for about 5 years... I got a taste of it but wanted more. I didnt know my job existed until i got an opportunity to intern with a stylist on a TV show, I did that for 2 years, made NO money but was so in love with it it didnt matter. I was hungry for it when I graduated from school and retail hit a dead end with the economy. I networked my ass off and eventually started assisting celebrity stylists. The rest is history.5. What has been your greatest proffesional moment?
My greatest professional moment hasnt happened yet.6. What was your worst job? Juicy deets pls lol
Worst job was a Promo for Entourage, I worked with the most insane stylist (coke head, sleeping with the producer for work ect ect) We dressed 20 "video girls" as well as some actors, one of them being Gary Bucci. At one point when I went to get him dressed he locked me into the room and proceeded to undres. Unfortunatly he didnt wear underwear that day so i was standing there with Gary Bucci and his OLD balls... It was aweful, I prob could have sued but let it go... was deff not my finest moment
7. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
In 10 years I hope to be on a level where its not a question if I can get a job, its if people can afford me! I strive to be the best, my mentors I have worked for have paved the way, I am blessed to be surrounded by greatness8. What is the hardest part abouy your job? the best part?
The hardest part is the grunt work, a lot of people think being a stylist is glamorous. Well it isnt! We work the longest hours and for the most amount of time in comparison to a makeup or hair person, not that they dont work hard, just different. Try prepping a job in NYC in the winter in the middle of a blizzard on foot cause there are no cabs. Yea, Ive done that. And then packing up and getting to the shoot with 3 large body bag size duffles in 2 feet of snow. NOT Fabulous or Glamrous. The best part of my job is when the final product comes together at the shoot. When the artist or model is dressed and my vision comes to life. It makes it allllll worth it. Every single thing I do is for that moment. I literally get chills.
10. What celeb style do you admire the most?
Celeb style i admire for women is Lady Gaga... enough said. Shes a bad bitch, and from NY!
and for men I LOVE Swizz Beatz who I actually work with. He isnt afraid to take risks and he loves fashion and it shows. I mean hes got Christian Louboutin on speed dial....
11. Do you have any professional regrets?

I deff have professional regrets. through my mistakes i have learned important lessons that i wouldnt have understood if they didnt happen. One thing is " Be Humble or be Humbled" I have been kicked down into the dirt and absolutly could have given up in that moment. the difference between me and 99% of people is that i got back up and kept trying.... that was a year ago and Im still here... and deff not going anywhere...
12. What is your style motto?
My personal style is ALL BLACK with some good accessories. Idk how it happened, maybe working for Rihanna back in her "darker phase"...


It was great talking to Maeve and to see such a real depiction of what it takes to make it in this buisness. Rachel Zoe makes it seem like rainbows and lolipops but it takes a lot more to make it as a stylist. Maeve has already worked with amazing people like Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Keri Hilson, Lil John, Mel B, Mike Posner, Rachel McAdams, Jay- Z and Snoop Dogg. That is only naming a few. Cannot wait to see the amazing things that will Maeve will do in the future and hope that she gets the answer to question number five. You can follow Maeve on twitter @stylememaeve and for more info visit her website maevereilly.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment