craicstyle
this site the web

Craic'y Spotlight: Christopher Downey



Aaaahhhh New York City. You never know who is just around the corner or who you will meet next. That is exactly what happened to me last month at Vig 27's Nextwork party. As the crowd dwindled and I became hopeless that I wouldn't meet anyone in my field Christopher Downey popped right up. Christopher Downey is a great guy with an amazing talent as you can see in his above and below work. Check out the great interview I did with him and then make sure you call him up at Prive salon and book an appointment for your next event!


What do you do ?
I am an assistant manager at Prive Salon in Soho and run my own business-Christopher Downey Make-up Artistry
What drew you to the fashion industry ?
A friend talked me into make-up although I had no prior experience, but having an art background, it was second nature to me.

What is the hardest part about working or breaking in to this business?
The hardest thing is just trying to get my name out there because there are so many people in the same occupation.

What are some of the things that you wish you could change about the industry?
The fact that if you are a make-up artist doesn't necessarily mean you are good. Does that sound bitchy?

What has been your greatest professional moment?
Realizing that I LOVE what I do.

Your worst professional moment?
When people I work with don't have the same artistic vision as I do.

What are some of your biggest influences?
Anyone who has an artistic voice. I am influenced by everyday people. As far as make-up artists, Kevyn Aucoin and Francois Nars. But if it came to celebrities, I would have to say Madonna, Kylie Minogue, and Lady Gaga. I guess I love powerful women!

What designers do you love and why?
I love Jean-Paul Gualtier, Dolce& Gabbana, and Alexander McQueen, because they all have an eye for the dramatic. (AND my boyfriend Jason Vincent, because he has the potential to become a great designer, he definitely has a vision)

What celeb style do you admire the most?
Well, I am a huge Madonna fan, but Nicole Kidman always looks great too!least?Too many too list!LOL!

Do you have any professional regrets?
Absolutely, no regrets. Every choice I have made has brought me where I am today. I have learned a lot.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Being a sought after make-up artist!
What is your personal style?
I love to keep up with current trends but give it my own little twist. style motto? Be daring, be creative, and if you love it..own it! It's ALL about confidence.

What trends do you see for spring 2011?
In make-up there are a lot of neon colors, especially eyeliners.

Going into spring and summer what are some of the things women should be doing to take care of their skin?
PLEASE use a sunscreen.

What is the one product you can recommend to readers as a must have?
A moisturizer catered to your own skin type.

Explain how you begin the makeup process on a client.
I ask them what their comfort zone is with make-up, some clients want to look great but not hidden behind make-up.

Exclusive Makeup tips? 
 just be daring, try new things, and a great concealer always helps.
The one beauty trend you wish would just go away already?
I love a smokey eye, but 9 out of 10 clients always wants a smokey eye! Try something new girls!

Advice for others trying to break into the fashion biz 
Believe in yourself and NEVER give up. You might have a lot of doors close in your face, but there will eventually be the one door that opens and then your career takes off!

Christopher Downey can be found on Facebook-Christopher Downey Make-up Artistry and can be contacted at christopherdnyc@gmail.com or at Prive Salon Soho #212-274-8888 for make-up application


Downey's work from the NIMA Fall Fashion Show 2011



0 comments:

Post a Comment