craicstyle
this site the web

Craic'y Spotlight: Istvan The Make-Up Artist





Istvan Hrichak has worked in the beauty industry for nearly 10 years.  Through this time, he has perfected his individual style as an artist.  He has worked with multiple Billboard Recording Artists on album covers, advertisements, music videos, and concerts. Istvan has also worked New York’s Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. Istvan returned to Washington, DC in May of 2010 to work as a National Artist with NARS Cosmetics.  He continues to grow as an artist and is always striving for the next big thing.


What is your personal style ?
My style is always changing as I get bored so easy. I do drastic changes to my hair at least once a year, but as far as clothing goes I'm pretty minimal. I like things that fit tight, accentuate how tall I am and aren't busy. I think since I didn't know how to dress until my early 20's I play it a little safe. Currently I'm really into a semi-gothic, more industrial type feel mix with a little hipster.


How did you get into the beauty industry ?
I started wearing makeup when I tried getting into modeling at the ripe old age of 15. I would get the free gifts from Lancome when I bought my tinted moisturizer, concealer, bronzer, and self tanner, so I started playing with the eyeshadows in the gifts and was pretty good at it, long story short, started working in a salon, then behind a counter, then just kept getting promotions.


What drew you to the industry ?
I wasn't very attractive growing up, makeup was a way to express myself and feel more confident. I wanted to give that gift to other people, I feel everyone is beautiful, and I want them to be able to express that beauty on the outside as well as inside.


What is the hardest part about working or breaking in to this business?
The makeup industry is so competitive, I will never claim to be the best artist, and anyone who does is probably awful. But when there are so many talented people out there its easy to get intimidated and back down. Also, they're not called "Cosmetics Bitches" for nothing.


What are some of the things that you wish you could change about the industry?
I think the difficulty of this industry is what makes it so appealing, its also what drives you to be better. There are many things I wish I could change, but I think that would change its entire dynamic.


What inspires you ?
Music, nature, magazines, my friends, everyday women, New York, my mom, Miami, the future, blonde hair, other makeup artists.


What has been your greatest professional moment? Have you had one?
The first time I ever did New York Fashion Week I was on top of the world. Coming from the small town of Yorktown, Virginia I never thought my dream of working at one of the most recognized events in the fashion would ever happen.


What is Your worst professional moment?
Having to leave New York :(


What drives you?
My mom is my biggest supporter, every time I'm down she gives me the strength to keep going.


What are some of your biggest influences?
In the beginning I was really influenced by Britney Spears, her makeup was always on point and I learned a lot from following her videos. Over the past 6 years Victoria Beckham has been my biggest influence, I think she is the most fashionable person in the world her makeup, hair, and clothes are always setting a new trend.


What designers do you love and why?
John Galliano for Christian Dior, his designs are always so different, so over the top, he's always pushing the boundaries of fashion. Its not exactly wearable, but its very inspiring.


What celeb style do you admire the most?
Victoria Beckham and Kylie Minogue all the way!


Do you have any professional regrets?
I think any mistakes I'm made along the way have shaped who I am today, there's not really any point in reflecting on mistakes except to learn from them.


Where do you see yourself in ten years?
I would like to be doing more editorial work and I also want to create my own cosmetic line.


Advice for others trying to break into the fashion biz?
Perfect your trade. I've seen so many people think their 'shit don't stink' and they go no where, I'm always looking to learn more, even if it from someone with far less experience than me. There's always room for improvement.


What trends do you see for 2011?
In 2011 absolutely anything goes. We're seeing everything from smokey eyes with bold lips, completely nude skin, eyes, and lips. Some of my favorite trends right now are bright mono colours on the lids; bright orange or pink lips; and my favorite which I'm dying to try myself is bleached white eyebrows!

0 comments:

Post a Comment